July is National Hot Dog Month!
A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz. – Humphrey Bogart
I, for one, am sticking by the HOT DOG…
because this is sooo about the hot dog – not the steak or roast beef or even the Ritz
Saturday night is traditionally Franks and Beans night ’round these parts. (’round these parts? Have I been listening to too much country music??)
Beans. Boston Baked. OK, they come in cans,too, but the jar is shaped like a bean pot. A deep breath away from twee.
This a 2 gallon bean pot from the Pot Shop in Boston – this makes 5 pounds of beans…that’s a lotta bean! But it’s hot dog month, so the beans will have to keep. Is there a National Baked Bean Month – or even a Day? Later.
We are having Franks and Beans (ok – and some leftover potato salad) because I found some Maple Leaf Franks….
Just like Uncle Al used to make.
Except this batch all the dogs were pretty much the same….not that that’s a bad thing.
And I also found the turn of the last century recipe for the Frankfort Sausages that I made in a workshop that was TEN years ago, where does the time fly?
Time flies, Pigs fly…need some pigs for making hot dogs.
Ingredients. – 2 lbs. of tender, lean pork, 1 lb. of fat, mace, coriander seeds, sauce, claret, sausage skins.
Mode. – Chop both the lean and the fat very fine, add the other ingredients to taste, mix to the consistency of sausage meat with the claret, and fill the skins. Boil them gently in mild beer or water, enough to cover them, for ¾ of an hour, then fry for 15 minutes in butter. In Germany they are often served with well sweetened applesauce flavoured with cinnamon.
Time, 1 hour. Average cost, 2s. 9d.
Seasonable from September to March.
- Beeton, I. Beeton’s Cookery Book.J.S. Doige: West Street, Blackpool. 1902. Reprinted by Rigby Publishers Lt. London, 1981. p. 126.
NOTES: Sausages: Links to the Past ALHFAM 2004 THF
- Coriander is the essential HD flavor
- Put the chopped meat into a food processor to make it into a meat paste (meat mousse)before filling the casings makes the sausage extra good
- Make them a day or two ahead before serving to really meld the flavor
- Besides the applesauce suggestion, also good in buns with yellow mustard or sauerkraut
- ‘Skins’ is Victorian speak for guts – aka casings. KMW
Hot dog in NE style Bun, King Arthur Flour makes the bun pan
Why are frankfurters considered fickle sports fans?
They always root for the wieners
(click to find out how wieners are made for you)