So far this summer I’ve had fresh zucchini, fresh patty pan, fresh acorn but no fresh summer, squash.
What is summer without summer squash? Just in time, I was gifted 5# (and when did this become ‘hashtag’ and not ‘pound’? Or is it both?)
Thank you, Olivia Brownlee. Olivia also sings “The Cookin’ Tune” click and love.
Back to squash, what to do, what to do?
Salad Days, Soup Nights, when Autumn is new and Winter is still far.
First the salad…..
End of Summer Cool and Hot
5 T olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 # small yellow summer squash, sliced into 1/3 inch rounds (or one 2# Summer Squash, cut into quarters and then cut into 1/3 inch triangles)
½ cup minced tender parsley stems
2 Tablespoons grated orange zest
2-3 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium heat until hot. This is done in 2 batches to keep it all from becoming too soupy. Add 2 Tablespoons of the oil then add the garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add half the squash and half the parsley, season with salt. You want it to soften but not brown.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add 1 Tablespoon of the orange rind, and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Stir together.
- Add 2 Tablespoon oil to the pan and heat until hot, add the rest of the squash and parsley, season with salt and cook until softened but not brown.
- Add to the bowl with the first batch, toss in the rest of the orange rind, and add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Taste and adjust salt and red pepper. Add the last tablespoon of olive oil.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes or up to an hour. May be refrigerated for up to 3 days (says him, not at my house, it doesn’t linger here that long) .
and then for the Soup Nights
END OF SUMMER HOT OR COOL SOUP
1 # brown lentils
1 large onion
1 large celery rib with leaves OR 1 smallish fennel bulb
2 medium summer squash (2#) (or zukes or patty pans)
A quart baggie of juice left over from canning tomatoes with water to total 6 cups OR
2 large tomatoes and
6 Cups water
optional add ins – 1 or 2 carrots or 1 or 2 small turnips or maybe a potato…whatever’s lonely in the bin
1 cup ditalini, tubetti, or elbows
- Combine veggies and lentils in slow cooker and cook on low 7 hours.
- Add pasta and salt and cook on high for 30 minutes
- Serve hot with cheese – Parmigiano or Romano , you know what you like
AND the cool and the next day when the pasta absorbs the liquid and it’s not really soup anymore,: Frittata base!
Michele Scicolone The Italian Slow Cooker p.32. She calls it Sicilian Lentil, Vegetable and Pasta Soup
A little orange zest is not amiss, esp if you have any left from the other squash recipe. Or put a little zest in your coffee – it beats the heck out of Pumpkin Pie Spice Everything.