Who knew there was a Tapioca Pudding Consortium to rally for a National day of recognition? Who are these tapioca aficionados? The mysteries of food and politics…..
Long ago , and not so far away, there was a little restaurant, really a large diner, and when we weren’t eating green macaroni and cheese for Friday night supper, we might, especially if it were summer it seems, go there for Friday night Fish and Chips. They also had tapioca pudding for dessert. Brother number 3 had a special fondness for tapioca, and calling it fish eggs or fish eyes or anything else disgusting would not cause him to turn away. It’s also really easy to make, and adding chocolate makes this my favorite chocolate pudding. Ironically, Brother number 3 has a birthday on – you guessed it – National Tapioca Pudding Day. Many happy returns of the day, little brother! XoX
Chocolate Tapioca Pudding
3 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. tapioca
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate ( chips or squares, or dark if you like it strong)
1 tsp. vanilla (I’ve also used Kahlua or rum or anisette…..whatever liqueur you prefer or have on hand)
- Beat egg, milk, sugar and tapioca with wire whisk in medium saucepan until well blended; let stand 5 min. Add chocolate. So far the heat isn’t on
- Bring the heat up to medium until it’s at a rolling boil. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Cool 20 minutes – this stuff thickens as it cools.
- Stir. Serve warm or chilled.
- Stir again before serving.
recipe from Kraft Minute Tapioca , with notes from the Kraft website