If you’re going to be meatless for any length of time, eventually you’ll turn to
No, not Mr. Bean – dried beans – those protein powerhouses of the plant world.
Beans are easy to cook.The biggest problem with them is the time that they take. If the dried beans you buy are older and more dried out, they take longer to get to good. Still easy.
1 pound dried bean
6 cups water
1 bay leaf OR 1 sprig of fresh rosemary OR 2 cloves of peeled garlic
- Pick over the beans
- Rinse the beans
- Put the beans in the slow cooker.
- Add the water – are all the beans underwater? I usually ditch the floaters….
- If you are using a leaf or a sprig or a bud – add your flavor component now.
- Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until tender.
- Add salt to taste and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Remove the flavor component, it’s done it’s work, so thank it for a job well done.
- Beans are now ready for use in soups, stews, chilies, salads.
Adapted Michele Scicolone. The Italian Slow Cooker. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 2010. p. 191.