Aglio and Olio is Garlic and Oil and that’s another Meatless Monday Dish.
The Garlic and Oil are the sauce for spaghetti.
Spaghetti with Garlic and Oil
10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced(most other recipes call for less – but then it’s merely garlic-ish and not garlic. Garlic keeps you healthy and the parsley helps your breath)
6 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley ( plus more for sprinkling on top)
1 pound spaghetti
- Start a pot of water for the spaghetti
- Put olive oil and slice garlic in another pan over medium heat. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION HERE. Do not get distracted for the next 3-4 minutes. Stir this occasionally until the garlic just starts to begin to brown – 2-3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and the chopped parsley. Stir it around and remove from the heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, add salt and the spaghetti. Cook until al dente. Save a ½ cup of the pasta water and then drain.
- Put the spaghetti back in the cooking pot, add the garlic and oil mixture and ¼ cup of the pasta water. Toss over medium heat until all the spaghetti is well coated, adding more water if necessary.
- Serve with grated cheese.
From Mario Batali. Molto Gusto. p. 140.